Monday, October 1, 2012

Smoke and Fire


When I came home from school today, I noticed smoke coming from around my house. I was immediately worried, but it turns out my dad was just burning stuff in the back yard. It was a really weird time for him to be burning things though.

He looked like he hadn’t slept in ages, and he was just staring into the flames. After a while of trying to figure out what he was burning, I realized that it was books. All of his journals and composition books and spiral notebooks were curling up into ash under the flame. That worried me a lot. He never got rid of any of his notebooks. He’s a writer like my mom was, and he wrote down every idea he ever had. He never wanted to get rid of any of them.

Mom’s death seems to be hitting him even harder than it hit me if he’s getting rid of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment